1/26/10

My 3 Expectations of being a “Dad”

We made the big announcement to friends and family that we have a child on the way, and then it sunk in that WE HAVE A CHILD ON THE WAY!!! It’s funny how that happens.

When the reality sank in, my mind went to work on thinking what it takes to be a great (or at least semi-good) dad. I was able to think about my dad and the other examples in my life and come up with a few goals that I could strive for. Here is what I expect of my role as “Dad”:

1. Never say, “Go ask your mother!”

Ok, I might say it whenever we get to math homework with fractions, but I will not minimize my involvement in his/her life. I want to be active and show interest in my child’s life. I want to be able to listen to their questions, thoughts, and dreams. I want to be able to show understanding when they are pondering the complex things of life like why is the sky blue, why does milk go sour, and why did Lisa Turtle never go out with Screech on Saved By the Bell!?!? We’ll probably never get an answer to the last one, but I still want to always be present and active in his/her life. I want my interest and love for my child to be a miniature example of God’s interest and love for them.

2. Remember that what I say matters, and what I do matters more

A large part of being interested in my son or daughter’s life means spending time listening to them, but my response is just as important. I hope I can always capitalize on teachable moments by speaking Biblical truth to my child. The Bible has so much to offer a child in the stages of development, so I want to be that influence that shares those truths at the appropriate times because what I say matters. Even more so, what I do matters. I hope that my child will listen to what I say. If he/she is anything like I was as a child, then he/she will be so hardheaded that most of what I say will just be a waste of breath! However, I know that two beady little eyes will closely watch every move I make. If I plan to speak truth to my child, then I better live it as well. As a dad, I want to always remember that my actions greatly influence my child.

3. Show my affection as clearly and often as possible

I want my relationship with my son or daughter to be full of affection. From the moment we found out that we would have a baby, I have had an overwhelming amount of love for him/her. I realize that the way I display my love for my child will influence the way that they show love to others. I think a dad should show his love through protecting and providing for the family. This is a huge statement for the whole family that builds trust. I also think that verbal and physical affirmations of love are very important. I want our relationship to have both. Even when the kid doesn’t want it, I will still be offering the hugs and “I love you’s!”

I’m sure that I will continue to think more and learn more over the next several months. I’m might be able to add to this list or rethink some of the thoughts. I do know that everything I say and do boils down to 1 thing—I want my child to have a relationship with Jesus Christ. Reggie Joiner, founder of The ReThink Group, has such a wise quote that I’ve heard him repeat at least a dozen times, he says, “100 years from now the only thing that will matter is a person’s relationship with Jesus Christ.” I understand my role as a father in this decision for my child. I want to be a great dad so that my child will see the awesome love of the Heavenly Father that was demonstrated through His Son at the cross.

2 comments:

  1. You will be an awesome Dad! You guys will be wonderful parents! and the amazing thing is that it is truly the easiest little thing to love no matter what, the crying, the screaming, the misbehaving (which comes more.. oh say.. when they are Scarlett's age), but the overwhelming love is there and is so easy to clearly show. You will be wonderful! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you have inspired me.. I think I will start getting myself back to blogging.. I enjoyed it.. just stopped... think I got a little sidetracked!

    ReplyDelete